Quantcast
Pit bull attacks owner and toddler, owner dies - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pit bull attacks owner and toddler, owner dies

Sad to hear news like these. And every time one of these pop up, I would sure hear questions from some acquaintances on how my dogs (specifically, my husky) are doing with my kids.

As much as I trust my dogs (actually dog, one passed away), I won't leave my infant with it alone where they can be in close proximity or direct contact. I don't trust that my infant knows how to properly treat my dog. Between the two dogs (12 year old husky, and 16 year old Jack Russell Terrier which passed away), the husky seems to show more interest and patience to my kids. I have to keep reminding my kids to never grab other dogs' food bowl or even approach them when they're eating.

My Ride
    ute

That's so strange. You're willing to take even a small risk?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's 2018, dogs have human moms and dads now and they are a direct equivalent to human children. Do you not consider canine rights when you make such absurd statements? Maybe people and children shouldn't provoke dogs to violence, it's no different than you allowing someone to steal your car by leaving the keys in it - that theft is merely a deserved consequence of your actions.

You sir are displaying an arrogant level of speciesism and frankly, it disgusts me.

#freethelangdomvictim #justicefordoggie #caninelivesmatter
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 09-18-2018 at 09:38 AM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    ute

#MeTooCanineEdition ?

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

Please refrain from using the # sign when referring to canine oppression. Since before the millennials it has been known as the "pound sign", which has negative connotations for the canine community. The pound, or dog pound if you will, is equivalent to the residential schools, and it's past occupants should be considered victims of a ruthless society. Please think of the dogs.

*justiceforall *K9too *alldogsgotoheaven

If you're referring to my decision to keep my dogs around when I have kids... I suppose there is a risk. My kids are 7 and 4 years old, and the infant 9 months. My dogs were with me before my kids. They have never showed any aggression to my kids since they were infants, so I see no reason to get rid of my dogs. My husky in particular, she has reservations around kids in general and shy away when being approached during walks. However, she's ok with my kids sleeping on her.

Oh the other hand, an in-law had to give up their dog due to frequent barking after having their first child. The dog is still in the family, but every time I see it I feel bad and that the situation could have been different if more attention / training was done. Could have been the dog type / temperament. But oh well, I suppose that's the decision they have to make.

Quote Originally Posted by googe View Post
    but even with perfect owners those things just snap and kill dogs or people

Ive seen this firsthand, I have a good buddy who had to put his 5-7 yr old pitbull down because one day it got aggressive towards his daughter and she was around the dog since they got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    Ive seen this firsthand, I have a good buddy who had to put his 5-7 yr old pitbull down because one day it got aggressive towards his daughter and she was around the dog since they got it.
    The apologists will say your buddy wasn't fit to own the dog.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
    If you're referring to my decision to keep my dogs around when I have kids... I suppose there is a risk. My kids are 7 and 4 years old, and the infant 9 months. My dogs were with me before my kids. They have never showed any aggression to my kids since they were infants, so I see no reason to get rid of my dogs. My husky in particular, she has reservations around kids in general and shy away when being approached during walks. However, she's ok with my kids sleeping on her.

Oh the other hand, an in-law had to give up their dog due to frequent barking after having their first child. The dog is still in the family, but every time I see it I feel bad and that the situation could have been different if more attention / training was done. Could have been the dog type / temperament. But oh well, I suppose that's the decision they have to make.
    Yes, I was referring to that, and I don't understand it.

You can interpret risk in all sorts of ways. But I think there are three relevant ones here:

1. Risk you impose on yourself, and risk you impose on others.
    2. Objective risk vs subjective risk. (Can you calculate it or are you just guessing and subject to "luck")
    3. Necessary vs unnecessary risk.

I guess you could also throw in the worst-case-scenario outcome in there. That is: a highly risky decision, but with a benign outcome is not as big of a concern as a low probability outcome but with a disastrous result.

Having a big dog around kids is basically being on the wrong side of all of the risk equations:

You're risking someone else (kid), the risk is subjective (dogs are inherently unpredictable), and they are unnecessary (we aren't hunting for our food or traveling in dog sleds). Bonus: the worst-case-scenario even if unlikely is that your kid bleeds out from a bite.

Makes no sense.

My Ride
    NC1

So dog owners are doing a terrible job raising these dogs? Would adopting these dogs be a better move?

My Ride
    Lariat

All dogs and breeds need to be banned. Then stuff like this would never happen!

#banallbreeds
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    All dogs and breeds need to be banned. Then stuff like this would never happen!

#banallbreeds
    No, all dogs and breeds need to be taxed and the Owners of non-voilent breeds need to have their dogs confiscated. Ultimately, only government needs to possess a dog. It's the only final solution.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    No, all dogs and breeds need to be taxed and the Owners of non-voilent breeds need to have their dogs confiscated. Ultimately, only government needs to possess a dog. It's the only final solution.
    Agreed, state dog, for the well being of the sensitive students at various universities who need to cope before exams. I cannot think of anything useful about a dog besides that.
    Cos...

Yes, I was referring to that, and I don't understand it.

You can interpret risk in all sorts of ways. But I think there are three relevant ones here:

1. Risk you impose on yourself, and risk you impose on others.
    2. Objective risk vs subjective risk. (Can you calculate it or are you just guessing and subject to "luck")
    3. Necessary vs unnecessary risk.

I guess you could also throw in the worst-case-scenario outcome in there. That is: a highly risky decision, but with a benign outcome is not as big of a concern as a low probability outcome but with a disastrous result.

Having a big dog around kids is basically being on the wrong side of all of the risk equations:

You're risking someone else (kid), the risk is subjective (dogs are inherently unpredictable), and they are unnecessary (we aren't hunting for our food or traveling in dog sleds). Bonus: the worst-case-scenario even if unlikely is that your kid bleeds out from a bite.

Makes no sense.
    I see what you're saying. I suppose I just don't think logically all the time and probably quite selfish on my part. I grew up with dogs in the family (a couple of medium sized mutts). I learned my lesson about treating dogs with respect when I sat on its back a bit too roughly, it turned around and gave me a nib on my arm. Luck was on my side I suppose. No marks, no bleeding. I remember that to this day and I talk to my kids over and over about it too. The only thing I'm doing to decrease the risk is not having the dog and kids (mostly the infant) alone to themselves and teach my kids to be gentle and play nice.

Having said that, my husky is also getting old in its age, would I get another one when she also pass away? Probably not until all the kids move out.
    Last edited by ZeroGravity; 09-18-2018 at 03:04 PM.

My Ride
    ute

I'm not judging or knocking what you do or don't do.

I just don't understand the risk, because I have no desire for a dog.

My Ride
    NC1

I want to adopt a dog for the house but mom said no lol

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

There's risk in everything you do in life. Especially when you have a kid.

Its really about risk VS. reward. Having a dog has proven to help teach most kids responsibility, socialization, love and empathy.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Well of course it has, no one goes into researching human animal interactions unless they WANT the results to be positive.

You dont go into a gender studies program unless you believe there are 94 genders and boys are girls.

Edit-
    My anecdotal evidence unequivocally shows that having a pet just feeds peoples narcism. Rarely doing whats in the pets interest, and projecting what they want to assume a pet is feeling/wants onto them.

And I had pets growing up. I love dogs, will probably have one in the next year or two.
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 09-18-2018 at 06:27 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

There is an inherent risk to everything you do in life. There is a risk that anything you do today, it could be the thing that kills you.

The question is, is it an acceptable risk.

To use a more apt car analogy, we all buy cars, we love our cars. We all know that there is a risk associated with cars that it could break down. Sometimes you can nurse the car home, other times it leaves you on the side of the road, other times it could fail catastrophically and wreck and you could die in the resulting crash.

Each brand and even models have different risks when it comes to dependability. Toyota and Honda seem to have pretty good reliability and crash statistics, so your risks with owning one of those vehicles are fairly small. Most people wouldn't buy a Lada as they know they fail a lot of the time, and the risk is high, but, it does have a small following of people that love the hell out of them, while the rest of us steer clear of them and won't touch them with the proverbial 10 foot pole.

I have been around dogs my entire life. I have worked with a ton of breeds, and I am very comfortable around them. I am also one of those guys that will say hi to your dog before I say hi to you. I have worked with pit bulls, rotweillers, german sheppards, huskies, bull mastifs, golden retrievers, bull dogs, all the way down to maltese and toy poodles and chihauhas. The smallest of the dogs are the hardest to train, and are usually the most agressive, but that usually comes down to their owners and how they handle their dogs. Even big dogs can be agressive if neglected.

Having said that, I will NEVER own or bring in to my house a pit bull. EVER. It has been my experience that these dogs can usually be pretty well behaved, just like any other dog, but, these dogs have a crazy prey drive that never leaves them, and the smallest thing can set them off. Pitt bulls are the Ladas of the dog world. Its not if the Pitt Bull breaks, but more often than not, when. The risk with these dogs is just too great. It doesn't help the breed that most of the owners are complete fucking morons, but I have seen well cared for pitties from good litters snap too for no apparent reason.

I would not oppose a pitt bull ban, I would be sad about it as Pitties can be good dogs, but it just comes down to risk.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Having a dog has proven to help teach most kids responsibility, socialization, love and empathy.
    Most dogs carry little to no risk to children, even if they get momentarily violent, and are great for kids. Most dogs.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast