Quantcast
Alberta 2019 Provincial Election - Page 37 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 37 of 65 FirstFirst ... 27 36 37 38 47 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta 2019 Provincial Election

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

So I was reading more about the Carbon Tax and I'm actually really worried about the UCPs platform now. If a province doesn't have a Carbon program in place (Sask/Ont/etc) then all the money from the program goes into the Federal slush fund which they use as they see fit.

So basically if the UCP scrap our current system and we are then forced to do it through the federal system, and all that money goes from being reinvested in our province to being part of the federal funds. And lets face it, the federal government doesn't give a shit about Alberta and is going to spend all that money in green infrastructure programs in Ontario where they want to buy votes.

So it goes from being a consumption tax that at least helps with Ctrain/LRT upgrades and such to being a consumption tax we probably won't see anything from.

My Ride
    Silverado

Federal program will return the funds to the province afaik

My Ride
    ute

Then worst case is we lower our carbon tax as far as the feds allow.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can you actually find a source though? I searched repeatedly and never actually found any formal source for that. A lot of it was just assumption based.

On a side note I saw this on reddit and thought it was sorta interesting.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Can you actually find a source though? I searched repeatedly and never actually found any formal source for that. A lot of it was just assumption based.

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/ontario-carbon-tax-rebate

If we turf our tax we get treated exactly the same as Ontario.

They take the tax money and then perform their wealth redistribution Ralph Bucks style.

Big thing your convenient info graphic is missing is the massive deficit spending by the NDP beyond what the receive in tax revenue. Whereas the tax system under Ralph actually went towards something, paying down our debt.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    https://dailyhive.com/toronto/ontario-carbon-tax-rebate

If we turf our tax we get treated exactly the same as Ontario.

They take the tax money and then perform their wealth redistribution Ralph Bucks style.

Big thing your convenient info graphic is missing is the massive deficit spending by the NDP beyond what the receive in tax revenue. Whereas the tax system under Ralph actually went towards something, paying down our debt.
    Thats exactly the point though. Back then we paid more across the board in taxes and had a balanced budget / surplus. Since then we've dropped taxes everywhere and now we have a deficit.

Dropping the corporate tax rate even further to 8% isn't going to create more revenue.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Thats exactly the point though. Back then we paid more across the board in taxes and had a balanced budget / surplus. Since then we've dropped taxes everywhere and now we have a deficit.

Dropping the corporate tax rate even further to 8% isn't going to create more revenue.
    We also managed to have balanced budgets and surpluses with far lower taxes than we do now.

The issue you continue to be missing is the deficit is not caused by loc of taxation but massive and out of control spending by the NDP on literally anything and nothing.

I’ll stick to my low taxes and more moderate government spending thanks.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ford F150

If you keep reading that Reddit thread, you'll see all the comments pointing out how this is just cherry picking statistics.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Wasn't Ralph Klein elected in '94? He definitely cut taxes over his tenure.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

So I was reading more about the Carbon Tax and I'm actually really worried about the UCPs platform now. If a province doesn't have a Carbon program in place (Sask/Ont/etc) then all the money from the program goes into the Federal slush fund which they use as they see fit.

So basically if the UCP scrap our current system and we are then forced to do it through the federal system, and all that money goes from being reinvested in our province to being part of the federal funds. And lets face it, the federal government doesn't give a shit about Alberta and is going to spend all that money in green infrastructure programs in Ontario where they want to buy votes.

So it goes from being a consumption tax that at least helps with Ctrain/LRT upgrades and such to being a consumption tax we probably won't see anything from.
    1st of all, we are still running deficit and carbon tax goes to general revenue. So removal of the tax is only impacting income, doesn't necessarily impact spending like C Train/LRT upgrades (But project could drop off in the name of cost cutting). Carbon Tax wasn't implemented as revenue neutral. But it's just an alternative to Prentice's health care premium that people didn't like either.

Kenney on surface wants no carbon tax but he promised a tax against large emitters, whatever that means. So in effect, he is replacing something that everyone can see to something that will be hidden in your energy generation/production.

Also interesting article on Kenney and Oil patch CEOs:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ken...ceos-1.5083119
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-08-2019 at 04:38 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Can you actually find a source though?
    You mean, like the one I posted a page earlier? You literally rehashed last page's conversation

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    1st of all, we are still running deficit and carbon tax goes to general revenue. So removal of the tax is only impacting income, doesn't impact spending like C Train/LRT upgrades.
    Yes it does affect spending, because at some point even lefties like yourself go "holy shit, our taxes are going to be HOW MUCH?!"

The less revenue the gov has, the less bullshit they can try to pull off.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Yes it does affect spending, because at some point even lefties like yourself go "holy shit, our taxes are going to be HOW MUCH?!"

The less revenue the gov has, the less bullshit they can try to pull off.
    What I meant is carbon tax isn't revenue neutral and doesn't have specific programs tied to it.

Much like Prentice's health care premium doesn't go to AHS but to general revenue as well.

What I'm trying to say is, it's a tax/fee that doesn't directly support a service. Of course, taxpayers eventually have to pay for it but at least in the old health premium, it actually goes to health and not potentially used to service debt for other sectors.

TLDR, I rather have taxes that binds the government to a particular service than they do it with whatever the hell they want in general revenue (Sky Palace etc).

According to Kenney's peer reviewed study, the cut in tax would generate economic activities that generate taxes back. If all according to theory, it should 8% tax and 12% tax should have equal tax revenue. The question is being 3% less than 2 next door neighbors will attract any business to come set up in Calgary/Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Well, remember how Ralph bucks got out to other provinces? I wonder if the reverse will happen that carbon tax collected from the 4 provinces will be distributed country wide. So like Pheoxs said, not having a home grown carbon tax scheme may inadvertently signs us up for another equalization scheme until either Fed loses in court or Sheer get power and abolish it.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-08-2019 at 05:15 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

All taxes are general revenue.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Wasn't Ralph Klein elected in '94? He definitely cut taxes over his tenure.
    For instance, when our debt was paid in full under Klein the corporate tax rate was lower than what it is currently.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

I went through some CRA archives and my number didn’t match for Alberta $29,590 tax. I got $1100 and that was before the royalties credit I believe.

Someone want to check my Marth?
    Last edited by Darkane; 04-08-2019 at 07:29 PM.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    What I meant is carbon tax isn't revenue neutral and doesn't have specific programs tied to it.
    Uh, so? By cutting government revenue, you cut the ability to fund stupid, outlandish projects because they go "well as long as debt is xx% of revenue we're good".

If nothing else changed tomorrow except for carbon tax going "poof", you bet your ass it would affect the budgets of some projects.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Anybody read Mr. Potato Head telling CEO's from oil companies that support a carbon tax that he doesnt need advice form billionaires?

Oh my.

Like giving control of the carbon tax to the Feds is the stupidest thing you can do. Why is he tryain got rob Alberta?

It's the United bigots party, I shouldnlt be surprised. Am I late to the Charles Adler interveiw thread?
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Advance polls start today. They are open 9am-8pm every day until Saturday. Reminder anyone may do advance voting at any advance poll.

In election day Tuesday April 16th you may ONLY vote at your assigned polling station.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Those numbers do not even look correct. But either way, you're kind of forgetting that these tax rates under Klein were dropped by Conservatives to less than they show on the graph under the NDP, and we still had balanced budgets. NDP raised them, and massively over spent beyond the added revenue.

And depending on economic environment, decreasing corporate tax rate can most certainly increase revenue. Lower tax rate attracts more business, so even though the rate is lower, you can more than make up for it in volume.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Tax cuts, balanced budgets, debt free, who was in power, who wasn't...who cares. What was the price of oil and what % of our total revenue was from O&G royalties during that time? It's great to make a statement about X but what factors were really impacting our "success" or "failure" during that time?

The bickering is fun and an interesting contrast of opinions to read, but our province flourishes or shrivels depending on how O&G is doing.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 37 of 65 FirstFirst ... 27 36 37 38 47 ... LastLast