Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 451 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 451 of 985 FirstFirst ... 441 450 451 452 461 ... LastLast
Results 9,001 to 9,020 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My view of healthy is no pre-existing known health conditions, doesn't smoke, consumption of fun stuff at or below the health Canada guidelines and of course being able to dead/squat/bench your body weight for reps.

I doubt there are figures out there from any country where someone aged, say 18-60, died exclusively from COVID when there was nothing wrong with them to begin with. My guess the number is so low it's nearly insignificant. In the end, the better your overall health is, fat %, activity levels, diet etc play a huge role in deterrence to any viral disease. COVID is only deadly for a very small percentage of the Canadian population.

That's why all deaths stats are as close as you are going to get because it doesn't care who you are or how you died. So excess deaths would point to something is wrong/different going thru the population.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

hEalThY PEopLe are lESs lIkElY to Die Guise!,!! 1!
    HOT TAKE ALERT EVERYONE!! this is hardly a new or useful opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

My view of healthy is no pre-existing known health conditions, doesn't smoke, consumption of fun stuff at or below the health Canada guidelines and of course being able to dead/squat/bench your body weight for reps..

what the fuck lol

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    HOT TAKE ALERT EVERYONE!! this is hardly a new or useful opinion.
    We are still limiting a full re-open of society to keep the unhealthy, who were already circling the drain, alive for a bit longer. It's time to let the sick animals get eaten by the lion, its only nature. Humans are idiots because we sacrifice healthy members of the herd.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/23/oxfor...nity-13467677/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/c...perfectly_and/
    https://www.reddit.com/user/Draymond_Purple/

Microbiologist / Virologist here:

Dig no further, here's the interpretation.

- The vaccine is a new style of vaccine, a new way to get your immune system to better fight the virus itself. When they say it "works perfectly" they mean the new style seems to be making the immune system do exactly what we want it to do. We didn't know if the new method would really work in the real world, and it seems that it is working exactly as we had hoped.

That doesn't mean it protects you perfectly though. Basically we've given our immune system the big guns, and they seem to be laying waste to the virus, but ultimately you can never kill it all and some will survive and potentially make you sick/symptomatic.

- To that same end, the scientists working on the vaccine are clarifying that we will not fully rid ourselves of the virus. What the vaccine will do is turn Covid-19 into a yearly recurring thing like the flu (endemic), low enough numbers that we don't need to wear masks and social distance, but still present annually and some people will still get sick from it every year.

(EDIT: Listen to this RadioLab (start at 54:30) to better understand how today's Flu is actually a version of the Spanish Flu from 1918, it's an insane story and worth the listen... basically that pandemic never really ended and Covid-19 is unlikely to go away completely either)

- Putting on my epidemiology hat, the final takeaway is that the vaccine will be available earliest Spring 2021, and then there is the massive public health challenge of administering the vaccine to the world. They don't quote timelines for that phase, but my educated guess is 6 months.

- Final Personal Opinion: Trust the Oxford team and their messaging. They have already shown that they will slow things down in order to make sure they get it right. They're following globally accepted processes for developing safe and effective vaccines and are being transparent and objective regardless of whether the news is good or bad. This could certainly change, there's a looooong way to go, but for now my assessment is that they are very trustworthy at this stage.
    TLDR: Vaccine works, some people will still get sick from it though (guessing live vaccine), covid19 is here to stay and will be a yearly thing like flu.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post

TLDR: Vaccine works, some people will still get sick from it though (guessing live vaccine), covid19 is here to stay and will be a yearly thing like flu.
    That doens't make sense ... the reason the flu comes back every year is there are constant mutations. Each years 'flu shot' is a combination of some of the more expected strains that they anticipate will be more viral that year. It's a game of whack a mole.

COVID on the other hand, although it has mutated some, is not the same degree as the flu in that regard. It's true some of the vaccines are only saying around 50% efficacy but that means that if 50% of the population won't contract/spread covid that it will dwindle down and disappear. The different between R=1.2 and R=0.8 means that if Alberta had 1,000 cases initially and we look 6 months later the former case would grow to ~9000 active cases (the track we are on pace to hit) whereas the latter would diminish to just 70 active cases.

Currently there is estimated ~6 variations of COVID (many of which are regional, in NA we predominately just have the GH strain). Whereas the flu mutations break out to many more subtypes. (Only a few examples are shown ... there's a lot more)
    Last edited by pheoxs; 10-23-2020 at 09:56 AM.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Hey man just the messenger here.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

On another note, this seems par for the current state of office life

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...tion-1.5773291

This conspiracy theory has got to be up there with the anti-maskers saying masks are human muzzles.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

This conspiracy theory has got to be up there with the anti-maskers saying masks are human muzzles.
    If you go read the whole supposed plot, it's absolutely bonkers.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Edge

No kidding. I had a couple of friends on FB post some article about these "concentration camps." Through a link or two, I found the request for information put out by the government of Canada. It very clearly states it is only looking for proposals on what it would take to quarantine international travelers close to both airports and hospitals, including the number of buildings a company has that could be used. Pretty clear, basic stuff.

I posted that stuff in response but got no response to that. Not that I'm surprised. It's scary just how many people seem so quick to believe conspiracy theories these days, even when faced with facts.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    That doens't make sense ... the reason the flu comes back every year is there are constant mutations. Each years 'flu shot' is a combination of some of the more expected strains that they anticipate will be more viral that year. It's a game of whack a mole.

COVID on the other hand, although it has mutated some, is not the same degree as the flu in that regard. It's true some of the vaccines are only saying around 50% efficacy but that means that if 50% of the population won't contract/spread covid that it will dwindle down and disappear. The different between R=1.2 and R=0.8 means that if Alberta had 1,000 cases initially and we look 6 months later the former case would grow to ~9000 active cases (the track we are on pace to hit) whereas the latter would diminish to just 70 active cases.

Currently there is estimated ~6 variations of COVID (many of which are regional, in NA we predominately just have the GH strain). Whereas the flu mutations break out to many more subtypes. (Only a few examples are shown ... there's a lot more)
    And this year's flu shot is extra crapshoot because no one got Influenza in Australia (where we base our projections) because everyone was hiding inside with masks and sanitizer.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Definitely conspiracy- but what COMPLETE horseshit from the mainstream media again:

Miranda Rosin, the MLA for Banff-Kananaskis, appeared to lend credence
    In doing so, Rosin helped to spread a misinformation campaign that has been been circulating on social media for weeks, says a health policy expert.

by stating:

"...IF THE RUMOURS ARE TRUE"

What planet are these CBC clowns living in? That does NOT lend any credence whatsoever.

Had she said something like "MAYBE" or "ITS POSSIBLE" - fine, thats going down the road of offering credence.
    Last edited by revelations; 10-23-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Weird. So the "conspiracy theorists" AKA-Epidemiologists, were right all along. Vaccine or not, this will be around forever. So when do we start the spreading parties and get this nonsense over with?

My Ride
    ute

There are very few vaccines that can create "sterilizing immunity"....especially in respiratory viruses. Most vaccines don't create an immune response that is sufficient to prevent infection, they just drive the infection to a point where it is either irrelevant or minor. You can say about almost any virus that it will be with us forever - with basically one exception (smallpox). That doesn't mean it will for sure look like the flu (seasonal with seasonal vaccines). It could mean many different outcomes from a practical sense and from our perspectives. Maybe that looks like regular boosters, or maybe it means small outbreaks that make the news, like measles. We don't know yet, and we won't know until the NEXT generation of Covid vaccines is completed.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Even assuming the cabid vaccine is like 50% effective and it lasts only one year, that would be amazing in terms of reducing the caseload.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Even assuming the cabid vaccine is like 50% effective and it lasts only one year, that would be amazing in terms of reducing the caseload.
    Reducing the caseload puts a lot of health care professions out of work. Health care workers are one of the greatest drivers of the economy. You don't want the economy to fail, do you?

My Ride
    Axis powers

On another note, this seems par for the current state of office life

My wife’s work just confirmed a positive Covid case, my wife worked closely with that person due to the work relationship, everyone is quite concerned and we really have no idea what the next steps are
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    ute

Rip

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    My wife’s work just confirmed a positive Covid case, my wife worked closely with that person due to the work relationship, everyone is quite concerned and we really have no idea what the next steps are
    Everybody get tested, self-isolate; that part will be straight forward.

And best of luck to a negative result.

Page 451 of 985 FirstFirst ... 441 450 451 452 461 ... LastLast