Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 472 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 472 of 987 FirstFirst ... 462 471 472 473 482 ... LastLast
Results 9,421 to 9,440 of 19736

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    ute

This quickly becomes a definition problem (asymptomatic, presymptomatic, maybe even "sub-symptomatic").

At the very least, spread by people who either don't know they are sick, or don't think that their symptoms are Covid is a significant problem. It probably is our most significant problem in terms of spread.

This is why the single biggest policy thing we could do is have antigen based testing approved and implemented immediately. But we don't have that, because gov'ts are bad at things.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Soon people will just get fed up and stop being tested when they feel sick. There are enough out there to ignore every other public health guideline like masks, who's going to risk getting tested positive and risk their livelihood. How many people went to go tested for influenza or anything else when they were sick? Covid will eventually turn into that, people will stop giving a fuck. It's already happening with the threat of lockdown 2.0.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any way you want to slice it and dice it, with a sample size of almost 4.5 million people - having 140 (average age 60) mostly elderly people in a hospital at the moment and 14 deaths thus far in the 0-59 age category, in no way is a pandemic, except in the eyes who are selling you fear.
    I think that you are more scared than you admit that you are wrong on this, and it is driving you to spend a lot of time convincing yourself that what you say is true.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have said before, but for a single adult individual, there's little benefit to getting tested.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I have said before, but for a single adult individual, there's little benefit to getting tested.
    PCR testing of non-symptomatic people? You're right.

rapid antigen testing to screen for non-symptomatic shedders? It would be a covid combo breaker.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I just want some serology testing so I know if I'm wasting my time right now. I want my invisibility card.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I think that you are more scared than you admit that you are wrong on this, and it is driving you to spend a lot of time convincing yourself that what you say is true.
    What part of the stats as stated, are incorrect?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

No, you misunderstand me, there's little benefit to a single selfish individual to getting tested, symptomatic or not, PCR or Antigen.

Now, in terms of saving society and ending this pandemic, yeah, more testing, particularly that rapid antigen testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    Soon people will just get fed up and stop being tested when they feel sick. There are enough out there to ignore every other public health guideline like masks, who's going to risk getting tested positive and risk their livelihood. How many people went to go tested for influenza or anything else when they were sick? Covid will eventually turn into that, people will stop giving a fuck. It's already happening with the threat of lockdown 2.0.
    You basically describe what's already happening. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

They ask you to do whatever to stop the spread, nobody cares until it get bad enough in need of a full lockdown. Then they bitches about a full lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I just want some serology testing so I know if I'm wasting my time right now. I want my invisibility card.
    Well Japan tested 50% with antibody in July for people without symptoms. I wish we will do similar study here to see if 4 months of mask wearing has bought us the same thing.

The only study left to debate on is whether active antibodies are need to fight COVID. Some say once you got antibody, even after antibody leaves in 10-12 weeks, 2nd COVID infection won't be as severe or deadly as the body remembers how to fight it. Given we have such low death rate on the 2nd wave, there may be some evidence to support that.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-02-2020 at 03:05 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    $80 at Ichor.

Results won't make you invisible though.

https://ichorblood.ca/pages/COVID-19...ody+Testing/14

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    You basically describe what's already happening. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

They ask you to do whatever to stop the spread, nobody cares until it get bad enough in need of a full lockdown. Then they bitches about a full lockdown.

I think most of those people are happy to just let it play out naturally and aren't concerned with stopping the spread. It has nothing to do with bad enough to require a lock down or not bad enough.

My Ride
    Bicycle

EU is f'd....

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-be...oar/a-55459225

Belgium will run out of hospital beds in little over a week
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...38b_story.html

For Germany, the breaking point could come in December. France and Switzerland might crack by mid-November. Belgium could hit its limit by the end of the week.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    No, you misunderstand me, there's little benefit to a single selfish individual to getting tested, symptomatic or not, PCR or Antigen.

Now, in terms of saving society and ending this pandemic, yeah, more testing, particularly that rapid antigen testing.
    One development worth noting is that the treatment methodologies for covid are quite distinct from those in other diseases. In some cases different enough that drugs are used in a way that might be contra-indicated in other diseases. They have covid broken down into 3 phases, which all have really important implications for treatment. They consider it pre-infection (ie prevention). Then they consider it the "viral phase" which can be aided by anti-virals and other medications. There there is the "post viral" cytokine storm/inflammatory phase, which requires a switch from anti-virals to deal with - but not too see as some of the anti-inflammatory drugs might not be good for the viral phase.

On other words: PCR as a diagnostic test for symptomatic cases is becoming very important for proper treatment.

My Ride
    ute

The only study left to debate on is whether active antibodies are need to fight COVID. Some say once you got antibody, even after antibody leaves in 10-12 weeks, 2nd COVID infection won't be as severe or deadly as the body remembers how to fight it. Given we have such low death rate on the 2nd wave, there may be some evidence to support that.
    Every TWiV is worth listening to in its entirety. However, this one is very recent and is mostly focused on the antibody discussion. Very much worth a listen.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Every TWiV is worth listening to in its entirety. However, this one is very recent and is mostly focused on the antibody discussion. Very much worth a listen.

Did you watch this stuff before covid or has it been a long term interest for you?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Did you watch this stuff before covid or has it been a long term interest for you?
    My undergrad is in molecular biology/ biotechnology, and I was heading into PhD-land before I decided that postdoc and then grant-writing weren't my kettle of fish. I had a couple of my class mates go on to become prominent scientists in immunology and other related fields.

I didn't keep up on the technical side of things, so had to play some catch-up over the winter, but I did keep a passing interest in developments over the years and as I tracked some friends' careers. So I have some pros to ask questions directly, which helps. I didn't start listening to TWiV again religiously until recently.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Ha. Cool.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My undergrad is in molecular biology/ biotechnology, and I was heading into PhD-land before I decided that postdoc and then grant-writing weren't my kettle of fish. I had a couple of my class mates go on to become prominent scientists in immunology and other related fields.

I didn't keep up on the technical side of things, so had to play some catch-up over the winter, but I did keep a passing interest in developments over the years and as I tracked some friends' careers. So I have some pros to ask questions directly, which helps. I didn't start listening to TWiV again religiously until recently.
    You went from this into finance??
    Wild

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    You went from this into finance??
    Wild

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

How come they are seeing their beds fill up but the states and canada are not (well aside from manitoba)

Page 472 of 987 FirstFirst ... 462 471 472 473 482 ... LastLast