Quantcast
SpaceX Starlink Internet beta test - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: SpaceX Starlink Internet beta test

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Better than nothing IMO.

So many dead spots on hwy 1 where I wouldn’t want to get stranded.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Better than nothing IMO.

So many dead spots on hwy 1 where I wouldn’t want to get stranded.
    @rage2 says this is fake news because he travels for baseball and never has dead spots.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Used Elon net this summer, 1,100% better than xplorenet (especially satellite). All my work things worked, VOIP, VPN, all of it. Even in torrential thunderstorms, had about 5min of downtime when the rain started, while the satellite was fucked all day. For sure better in the morning, and speeds dropped off by afternoon, but still held at least 4mb/s upload… which was still 4-8x more than the satellite does

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Used Elon net this summer, 1,100% better than xplorenet (especially satellite). All my work things worked, VOIP, VPN, all of it. Even in torrential thunderstorms, had about 5min of downtime when the rain started, while the satellite was fucked all day. For sure better in the morning, and speeds dropped off by afternoon, but still held at least 4mb/s upload… which was still 4-8x more than the satellite does
    At the rate they’re going, and already oversubscribed where some areas pretty much give the same speeds as competing shitty satellite service, I question how profitable this operation is. There’s no way their minuscule subscriber base is paying for what, 3000 satellites launched so far? Government is also turning them down on subsidies, maybe that’s what they were banking on to turn a profit.

The new best effort subscription tier is pure lol. Pay for a shittier tier service, and be on the bottom of QOS priority.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    At the rate they’re going, and already oversubscribed where some areas pretty much give the same speeds as competing shitty satellite service, I question how profitable this operation is. There’s no way their minuscule subscriber base is paying for what, 3000 satellites launched so far? Government is also turning them down on subsidies, maybe that’s what they were banking on to turn a profit.

The new best effort subscription tier is pure lol. Pay for a shittier tier service, and be on the bottom of QOS priority.
    I am sure CIA will keep them going.

I saw musk on some pod casts discussing dollars per launch and what satellites cost. It wasn't anywhere near as expensive as I thought. Launches for new satellites were happenint all the time. He also mentioned their supported by huge govt contracts for other space work so it's not like their losing money.

On a side note im on star link with my new place. Can't complain. I was used to fiber to the home but that's never going to happen in the country. I've never experienced an outage no matter how bad storms were. Certainly not as fast but that's what you give up if you want goats, cows and ducks.

I didn't consider any other internet options but it seems from what I always read that their worst than what I got.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I don’t think the oversubscription is anywhere near as bad as US. So maybe for Canada rural it’ll work out great long term.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Been using starlink for 2 months now at our new home/acreage, beyond happy with the service.

Wife and I both work from home, does everything we need and more for work and personal usage.

Average random speed tests range from 60-100 mbps down and upwards of 20 mbps up.

I have a v2 dish, my buddy who lives about ten mins north of me has been using it since the initial beta on the v1 dish, he always gets over 200 mbps down. No idea why he gets such higher download speeds but in the grand scheme it doesn't affect me. Netflix has no issues, work matters have no issues, torrents via VPN are good.

Game changer for acreage life, praise be Elon.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    Been using starlink for 2 months now at our new home/acreage, beyond happy with the service.

Wife and I both work from home, does everything we need and more for work and personal usage.

Average random speed tests range from 60-100 mbps down and upwards of 20 mbps up.

I have a v2 dish, my buddy who lives about ten mins north of me has been using it since the initial beta on the v1 dish, he always gets over 200 mbps down. No idea why he gets such higher download speeds but in the grand scheme it doesn't affect me. Netflix has no issues, work matters have no issues, torrents via VPN are good.

Game changer for acreage life, praise be Elon.
    Good to know. Is there an option to turn it completely off (along with billing) for several months of the year like you'd want to do for a cabin?

My Ride
    is broken

Nope. Pausing is not a thing yet.
    You can cancel your service BUT, if your zone (cell) reaches capacity you are put at the bottom of the list to signup again.

Starlink are making some weird business calls but its getting better. Our rural service has been amazing so far.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    Nope. Pausing is not a thing yet.
    You can cancel your service BUT, if your zone (cell) reaches capacity you are put at the bottom of the list to signup again.

Starlink are making some weird business calls but its getting better. Our rural service has been amazing so far.
    Shitty.
    So far, it's just so much more radically expensive even than XploreNet that it's not worth it for me (at this time).

Sister's farm in Sask is serviced by Starlink. Basically 100% uptime, have no problem streaming 4k.
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post

I have a v2 dish, my buddy who lives about ten mins north of me has been using it since the initial beta on the v1 dish, he always gets over 200 mbps down. No idea why he gets such higher download speeds but in the grand scheme it doesn't affect me.
    I've been using the V1 dish since the Beta started and I'm about the same as you, average 60-120mbps. I've seen as high as 185mbps, but not consistently.

Also noticed an uptick over the summer of short 1 - 2 second outages. In July my UDM would push outage alerts 8 - 10 a day. Probably wouldn't notice surfing, but annoying if you're on teams calls alot.

My Ride

There’s no way their minuscule subscriber base is paying for what, 3000 satellites launched so far? Government is also turning them down on subsidies, maybe that’s what they were banking on to turn a profit.
    I think their business packages will help subsidize the home subscribers a little bit. I know at least one provincial government is rolling them out to remote locations in pretty decent numbers. I imagine some US states and municipalities would be all over it.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Starlink will absolutely be losing money to grow and gain market traction. Given it a few years and they'll quickly shift to a model where you pay for buckets of data or the consumers get driven out in favor of commercial or government contracts buying up huge quantities of nodes.

Though Canada will probably be fine due to our lack of anything being up here mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Starlink will absolutely be losing money to grow and gain market traction. Given it a few years and they'll quickly shift to a model where you pay for buckets of data or the consumers get driven out in favor of commercial or government contracts buying up huge quantities of nodes.

Though Canada will probably be fine due to our lack of anything being up here mostly.
    They just lowered their pricing in most countries other than Canada...

Musk has stated not including development, that a Falcon 9 launch is $300,000.

The satellites are also dirt cheap.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2019/1...0-million.html

Compared to physical infrastructure on the ground, Musk is laughing.
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm no longer betting against Mr. Musk in terms of how to grow into profitability.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    They just lowered their pricing in most countries other than Canada...
    They want to onboard everyone in the world so all data belong to the USA.

Once inter satellite lasers fires, I assume there will be a lot more business clients will come onboard.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-30-2022 at 09:31 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Reduced ping will be a big deal for serious users. Even at low bandwidth, high pings kill business use.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast