Quantcast
Wine - expensive vs cheap is there a difference? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine - expensive vs cheap is there a difference?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe this was a team effort, cause my writing isn’t that legible, especially after drinking

The pingus and Marques de caceres are tough to compare with that age difference though, something that old is so viscous that the mouthfeel is a real standout... well, for me at least, probably borderline over oxidized for some
    Sweet. I'm near Ribera del Duero so Rioja wines are a bit sacrilege here but I'll track down that Marques de Caceres - I think it's quite common. Faustina's are also typically very good for the price - my in-laws serve it a lot at their restaurant in Marbella and typically bring 1.5L bottles when they come to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If you really want to make enemies go take this discussion to the scotch thread. I don't have the balls for that.
    Bring it on over. I'm a big fan of a lot of affordable whiskies and will shit all over some of the more recently popular whiskies that are decreasing in quality and increasing in price (Japanese, Laphroaig, Macallen, etc.)

My Ride
    ute

guys, just post your vivino or cellartracker list and get this flex underway properly.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Mi Terruno 2019
    Uvas Malbec
    Mendoza, Argentina
    91 Points
    James Suckling

This is a very serious style of Malbec at a ridiculously low price. Really fresh and delicious. You can't do better than this for under $10.

"A little tight, but very attractive cherry and orange-peel character. Medium body. Fresh finish."
    - James Suckling

$9.49
    Save Over 50%
    (reg $19.99)

Right from my highlander boxing week flyer. That is a great wine for $10.

Those are the kinds of wines the “pros” can’t tell over a $100 bottle.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    guys, just post your vivino or cellartracker list and get this flex underway properly.
    I’m awful at tracking anything, we use to do an event every other week at willowpark during event season in the before times... and this Spanish thing me is the only thing I seem to have successfully documented

I’m also stuck in an Ilerian peninsula phase... just doesn’t have the same premium as the super Tuscans and Bordeaux tax. Find it harder and harder to justify the French and Italian prices

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Anything under $18 and rated over 3.7 on vivino and I'm sold.
    Never failed me so far

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Did a fridge audit:

Drank too much of the good bottles vs replenishing them, whoops
    Appear to actually be drinking more Chilean wine currently?
    French and Italy game is weak
    The Kirkland Rioja wasn’t bad, haven’t tried the other one yet. tasted very familiar. Still trying to pinpoint what it’s a rebottling of, but seems like it should be a grand reserva based on the description? It’s pretty heavily oaked

Name:  07F01CDF-4021-4336-8A8B-EFB9E498611E.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  61.7 KB

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Is that some Instagram shit?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Is that some Instagram shit?
    Just for you guys

But yes, I’ve been using layout to reduce amount of individual uploads today

My Ride
    ute

I’m awful at tracking anything, we use to do an event every other week at willowpark during event season in the before times... and this Spanish thing me is the only thing I seem to have successfully documented

I’m also stuck in an Ilerian peninsula phase... just doesn’t have the same premium as the super Tuscans and Bordeaux tax. Find it harder and harder to justify the French and Italian prices
    Vivino is easy. Takes two seconds.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Vivino is easy. Takes two seconds.
    I know... I have it, just awful at keep up with it, I appear to have scanned 5 bottles over a 2 day span in April, and that’s about it haha. Think the GF’s is more complete... still have yet to actually bust it out at an event though

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I have a cheapy Margaux next to a James Neal name plate that I am saving for ExtraSlow's birthday.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 12-30-2020 at 03:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    ute

I know... I have it, just awful at keep up with it, I appear to have scanned 5 bottles over a 2 day span in April, and that’s about it haha. Think the GF’s is more complete... still have yet to actually bust it out at an event though
    I just go full asshole mode nowadays and break it out right in the wine store.

My Ride
    *The First*

Pretending to be a sommelier can similarly backfire in spectacular fashion around here
    Name:  tenor(10).gif
Views: 292
Size:  2.25 MB

My Ride
    NC1

Pretending to be a sommelier can similarly backfire in spectacular fashion around here
    Oh dang didn’t know you’ve been around that long lol that was a gem of a thread
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    Oh dang didn’t know you’ve been around that long lol that was a gem of a thread
    Did someone get in trouble for pretending again? I missed out.

This is one of those things like high-end home theater cables and amplifiers - there's a lot of talk until people have to put their money where their mouth is, and that tells you everything you need to know. Some pretty big dollar amounts have been floated around and nobody ever accepts the challenge.

Controlled studies have shown many times that there is no real difference, at least not one that wine snobs and sommeliers are able to tell. There have been lots of blind tests on this - Coles notes is they fail every time to reliably tell a difference, and if asked to put their own money on the line they always decline, which proves they don't even believe it themselves. In some tests, participants were served the exact same glass of wine twice back-to-back and had dramatically different things to say haha.

Something like 90% of wine sold in the USA is in the $10-12 range, probably a bit higher for Canada just because of our insane liquor taxes. If there was an obvious difference in quality or taste for spending more, more people would gladly pay for it, just like any other product.

Expensive wine is usually either rare or old, not necessarily because it's supposed to taste better. Kind of like art in that sense, prices can be incredibly arbitrary.

I love wine and personally I've never had a wine that I really hated, but there are certainly some I like more than others. It is not hard to find 'good' wine between $10-20 in Canada IMO, and it's so subjective anyway that it's difficult to even make recommendations. All you can do is try as many as possible and see what you like yourself. Anyone who tells you they can reliably distinguish between cheap and expensive wine is full of shit, and they would never put their money where their mouth is in a blind test. There's really not a lot to debate on the topic, both blind testing and the wine market itself have given us all the data we need I think.

GM Sommeliers are probably the only ones that have a chance of doing well in a blind test and there are what, a couple hundred of those in the entire world? Everyone else is just like the rest of us haha.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Did someone get in trouble for pretending again? I missed out.
    Might have been before your time junior but now is your time to shine!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This is one of those things like high-end home theater cables and amplifiers - there's a lot of talk until people have to put their money where their mouth is, and that tells you everything you need to know. Some pretty big dollar amounts have been floated around and nobody ever accepts the challenge.

Controlled studies have shown many times that there is no real difference, at least not one that wine snobs and sommeliers are able to tell. There have been lots of blind tests on this - Coles notes is they fail every time to reliably tell a difference, and if asked to put their own money on the line they always decline, which proves they don't even believe it themselves. In some tests, participants were served the exact same glass of wine twice back-to-back and had dramatically different things to say haha.

Something like 90% of wine sold in the USA is in the $10-12 range, probably a bit higher for Canada just because of our insane liquor taxes. If there was an obvious difference in quality or taste for spending more, more people would gladly pay for it, just like any other product.

Expensive wine is usually either rare or old, not necessarily because it's supposed to taste better. Kind of like art in that sense, prices can be incredibly arbitrary.

I love wine and personally I've never had a wine that I really hated, but there are certainly some I like more than others. It is not hard to find 'good' wine between $10-20 in Canada IMO, and it's so subjective anyway that it's difficult to even make recommendations. All you can do is try as many as possible and see what you like yourself. Anyone who tells you they can reliably distinguish between cheap and expensive wine is full of shit, and they would never put their money where their mouth is in a blind test. There's really not a lot to debate on the topic, both blind testing and the wine market itself have given us all the data we need I think.
    Lol
    I am user #49

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I buy what tastes good to me. Some are $10 bottles, some are $80. So much personal preference involved with wine, sometimes I feel the experts just suck it up and forcibly pretend to like something haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    NC1

I only like Riesling and Dom. Do those count lol
    I am user #49

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    I only like Riesling and Dom. Do those count lol
    Snobs prefer reds.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast