Quantcast
Another wwbd! Warranty edition - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Another wwbd! Warranty edition

My Ride
    changes every year

Default Another wwbd! Warranty edition

So im to take delivery of a 2018 X5 tomorrow and I've been mulling over the warranty quite a bit. Kind of a different situation here....

The X5 has 53k....on the body.....but it has a brand new engine for whatever bullshit story they told me, either way, it's a crate engine in it.

That said, the factory warranty expires in July and there is 0 warranty on the engine replacement, but VERBALLY they said " of course if something goes wrong we will deal with it on our end".

Do I get a short warranty to cover any electronic failures, do I even bother? Or do I look at a third party warranty, since BMW warranty is out to fuckin lunch....

Anyone? What say you mothafuckas.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Don’t be poor.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I feel like the engine is the part of a BMW I am least worried about.

On an X5 it’s electronics and air suspension that I would be concerned about.

What did they quote you to extend the warranty for a few more years?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm generally not a fan of additional warranties, but also not a fan of used Euro SUVs so I don't know what to say here.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally not a fan of additional warranties, but also not a fan of used Euro SUVs so I don't know what to say here.
    Probably just stick to saying nothing would be best.

RE: OP - I probably wouldn't get a warranty. I'd gamble. I would also push them to put the "we will deal with it on our end" in writing. Or if they won't, then tell them to stop bullshitting you if they don't intend to cover it. That would drive me nuts.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

What motor is it? My fil's 5 series turbo motor grenaded itself at 90k kms. I am not inspired by bmw engine reliability but maybe its better in 2018. I would warranty the fuck out of that thing. Like, go buy $10k worth of warranty because unless you are only driving it for 1 year you will come out ahead.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    ute

How much are they askign for the warranty?

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    What motor is it? My fil's 5 series turbo motor grenaded itself at 90k kms. I am not inspired by bmw engine reliability but maybe its better in 2018. I would warranty the fuck out of that thing. Like, go buy $10k worth of warranty because unless you are only driving it for 1 year you will come out ahead.
    Pretty sure its an N55.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Probably just stick to saying nothing would be best.

RE: OP - I probably wouldn't get a warranty. I'd gamble. I would also push them to put the "we will deal with it on our end" in writing. Or if they won't, then tell them to stop bullshitting you if they don't intend to cover it. That would drive me nuts.
    Just to stick it to dealer and the sales staff. I would have an official letter drafted and have him and the dealer manager sign it.
    They're feeding you a line and them taking care of it if something goes wrong means, they fix you pay!

Am unwillingness to cover the new motor install seems suspect.

My Ride
    *The First*

LoL!! He's purchasing a desirable vehicle from a dealer in March of 2022 so let's stop pretending he is holding all the cards and can push the dealer around.

I recommend you put your elbows on the table and purchase extended warranty.

I just recently picked up a 2020 HD diesel and turned down the warranty extending it out 3 more years until they dropped the price to $500. It was worth it for me then but as a general rule i dont buy extended warranties. IMO it all depends on how expensive the warranty is but generally a rip off. The house wins generally or they wouldn't offer them.

My Ride
    changes every year

Thanks guys. This will be my 7th BMW, 5 of which all had this same engine and im aware of the issues that arise on it, like @killramos said, I'm not really worried about the engine, the shit that dies go on an N55 is gonna go and it's not too expensive to replace and it shouldn't go til way past the warranty anyways.

I've purchased extended warranty once, on my 535 that im trading in and it actually came in use, of all the cars, it's been the one with the issues.

This is why I'm debating it again, out if the 6 I've owned, I've never put more than about 1k into any of them, but I'd I didn't have warranty on the 535, would have been about 10k....ya im torn.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

When we got our F15 X5 a few years ago, the extended warranty from BMW was $5500 after "discount", so I imagine its at least that? We didn't end up getting it. instead we went with a third party warranty, which only costed $1900. We never actually made any claims against it though so I can't comment on effective it was.

No issues on our X5 up until we sold it at ~110km, but near the end we did have some air suspension issues. If we drive it in Sports mode and then park , the rear left suspension would not hold air overnight. I would need to drive around the block in Comfort for a few minutes to pump it back up. The buyer was comfortable taking over that issue because of the extended warranty, so she has some faith in third party one we got I guess.

Great car and my wife misses it. Likely going to be picking up a G05 X5 later this year.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    When we got our F15 X5 a few years ago, the extended warranty from BMW was $5500 after "discount", so I imagine its at least that? We didn't end up getting it. instead we went with a third party warranty, which only costed $1900. We never actually made any claims against it though so I can't comment on effective it was.

No issues on our X5 up until we sold it at ~110km, but near the end we did have some air suspension issues. If we drive it in Sports mode and then park , the rear left suspension would not hold air overnight. I would need to drive around the block in Comfort for a few minutes to pump it back up. The buyer was comfortable taking over that issue because of the extended warranty, so she has some faith in third party one we got I guess.

Great car and my wife misses it. Likely going to be picking up a G05 X5 later this year.
    I remember, that was my old one you bought, I missed it enough to buy another one lol

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    I remember, that was my old one you bought, I missed it enough to buy another one lol
    And we missed it enough that we are going to buy another one too lol

My Ride
    changes every year

Well I picked up the car. I got a surprise that they found the summer tires were wearing pretty thin, so they replaced them all for free.

On topic though, I ended up going with a 2 year 80k for 2500 tax in. Little piece of mind anyways I guess.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

That seems like reasonable insurance
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    So im to take delivery of a 2018 X5 tomorrow and I've been mulling over the warranty quite a bit. Kind of a different situation here....

The X5 has 53k....on the body.....but it has a brand new engine for whatever bullshit story they told me, either way, it's a crate engine in it.

That said, the factory warranty expires in July and there is 0 warranty on the engine replacement, but VERBALLY they said " of course if something goes wrong we will deal with it on our end".

Do I get a short warranty to cover any electronic failures, do I even bother? Or do I look at a third party warranty, since BMW warranty is out to fuckin lunch....

Anyone? What say you mothafuckas.
    get the "we will deal with it in our end" in writing on the bill of sale, clearly defining what is covered and what isn't and for how long.

if the warranty is cheap, go for it to cover everything, but i am just afraid of big repair bills.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.