Quantcast
voltage light on 94 grand am? help! other questions too! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: voltage light on 94 grand am? help! other questions too!

My Ride
    1994 Pontiac Grand Am, 4 cyl. QOHC

Unhappy voltage light on 94 grand am? help! other questions too!

Ok here's the prob. I got in my car this morning to run a friend into the nearest town so she could go to work and my voltage light came on. Then it went on and then off and then on and then off again. It keeps doing this and I am not positive why. I have checked the cables and they are NOT coming off. That's how tight they are.

Next question is when I turn on my defroster or my a/c, my fan makes a funny noise, like something is being thrown around in there like a nut or bolt or something, but I don't think there is. Any ideas? I'm not too big into cars, but since my hubby (who is on his way home from Iraq) has been overseas and has taught me some things about cars, I have some inclination to figure it out.

As for the voltage light, I figure it SHOULDN'T be the alternator as I just changed it in September. HELP!!!

My Ride

That is, I checked my battery cables. Don't know much else about it! Thanks for your help y'all!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Probably a failing alternator. Meaning it's not charging your battery enough, and you're running off battery power. Eventually, your car will just die when the battery gets drained.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

Guess I will have it checked when I go back into town today. Thanks. If anyone has any other ideas I am really praying for them! I don't have another $83 to spend on a new alternator, not hard to fix, just expensive! for someone whose budget looks like mine anyway!

A good thing to check is the wires, i had my light come on and i knew my alt was fine.

Pulled over and one of the wires had vibrated loose. it's a red wire held on by a nut. you have the Quad OHC right?

My Ride
    85 Fiero

THere is a black plastic plug that plugs into the bottom of the alternator make sure that is plugged in, in worse case scenario you can take off your alternator (5 bolts if you have a quad 4) and get it tested at your local part supplier