Quantcast
UW Shuts down car team over racy photo - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: UW Shuts down car team over racy photo

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default UW Shuts down car team over racy photo

http://www.therecord.com/news/local/...acy-photograph

A engineering student that can pull that bikini off and get disciplined? WTH?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Oh noes! A bikini photo! My god, today's youth are so degenerate.

The University is lucky she wasn't fisting herself while remaking 2-girls-1-cup with the car in the background, FFS.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

What a bunch of shit. Dean is probably jealous as shit, probably why they were disciplined. The dean most likely doesnt look like that (or have a wife like that) and cant cut it as an engineer either.
    Last edited by Cos; 04-14-2011 at 05:22 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    2010 audi a4

LOL chicks wear less at the beach ! she looks downright wholesome in her plaid swimsuit & maryjanes

My Ride
    Hatred

Yeah I'm pretty sure that look is called business casual now.
    -U

My Ride
    2010 Camaro

The Dean is Adel Sedra.

An old Egyptian Fart born in the 40's.

He's probably just pissed that Women can be engineers now. I'll just leave it at that.

Suspension of the entire team is not fair or necessary.
    If I was a sponsor, I would pull out ASAP for some knee jerk shit like this.

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Discipline them? Sure, but if anything, suspend the students involved, not the entire team. But to prevent the team from competing is a complete over-reaction and quite petty. I don't see how collective punishment is proper here.

It will be interesting to see what happens now that this story is in the media and had given the University far more negative press than the photos would have.

This was from the team's faculty advisor:

A Message from our Faculty Advisor

Thursday, April 7, 2011

The 2011 Formula SAE team has been suspended effective Tuesday, March 29th, until June 1st, by the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Waterloo. This is in response to an unauthorized photo-shoot that took place on March 16th in the Student Design Centre (SDC), involving several members of the Formula SAE team. Two female students, one a key member of the team, were photographed with the 2010 Formula car. As faculty advisor for the Formula SAE team, I would like to emphasise that the team has my full respect and support. A mistake was made, they admitted this mistake, and have dealt with this situation effectively and professionally. The actions of the team over the past few days, including and especially those directly involved, have been exemplary.

One of the bitter ironies of the present situation is that the photo-shoot was intended to promote women. It was part of an entry into a calendar competition to promote University women with a combination of beauty and intelligence, with some of the proceeds directed to the Canadian Cancer Society. While on the one hand it is a very powerful and positive message – that this student felt comfortable enough in our team environment to celebrate her femininity in such a fashion – they failed to fully appreciate the ease with which these photos could be taken out of context. The use the Formula car and the SDC as a venue were last minute decisions, which gave insufficient consideration to the consequences of using University property and linking this action so closely with the team. The Faculty has spent enormous time and effort over the past few years to create this unique, world-class learning environment. This misuse of the facility was viewed as a violation of trust.

The Faculty only became aware of this situation a week after the photo-shoot, by which time some photos were already publically available on the web. Thus, there was some urgency to deal with this and the team was not consulted before the decision. Going forward, it is the intention of the Director of the SDC to put in place a more formal protocol governing the use of the Centre’s space and facilities. The Director has been very impressed with the level of cooperation and the professional manner of the team leadership in dealing with this very difficult and stressful situation, and has already taken steps to minimize the impact of this suspension on preparations for the 2012 competition, and the relationship with our sponsors. I am very grateful for all of his efforts to work with our team to manage this issue.

This is a very trying and emotional situation for all involved, and time and effort will be required to work through this, both individually and as a team. The SDC was created to facilitate learning in a real-world environment. Not all learning can be anticipated, nor enjoyable, but it is our reaction to these situations which defines what we get out of them. I want to reiterate how very proud I am of the team and their response to this very difficult situation. We all need to continue to work together in a constructive manner to move forward and to get back on track.

Please contact me if you have any questions or if there is anything I can do to help.

Steve Lambert, PhD, PEng
    Professor, Faculty Advisor to Formula SAE Team
    NSERC – Waterloo Chair in Design Engineering
    Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering
    University of Waterloo,
    Waterloo ON N2L 3G1
    Last edited by badatusrnames; 04-15-2011 at 07:03 PM.

"He said the issue for the university was that the engineering faculty’s student design centre was used for the photo shoot without permission"

this wouldnt of happend if they asked permission wow how lame

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by magicalpoop

If I was a sponsor, I would pull out ASAP for some knee jerk shit like this.
    You would penalize the FSAE team by pulling your sponsorship dollars? If anything, this is the time the sponsors should be standing behind the team and fighting against this horseshit decision.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

You would penalize the FSAE team by pulling your sponsorship dollars?
    The 2011 Formula SAE team has been suspended
    There is no more FSAE team...

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

There is no more FSAE team...
    Perhaps you are confused about the difference between "suspended" and "disbanded." The UW FSAE team still exists, they just can't work on the car.

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Perhaps you are confused about the difference between "suspended" and "disbanded." The UW FSAE team still exists, they just can't work on the car.
    They're suspended until June 1, which effectively prevents them from competing in Michigan in May (I think), which is essentialy their purpose for existing.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-02-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Originally posted by magicalpoop
    The Dean is Adel Sedra.

Hey i have his text book lol