Quantcast
Alberta Separatism is starting to go mainstream - Page 61 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 61 of 71 FirstFirst ... 51 60 61 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1420

Thread: Alberta Separatism is starting to go mainstream

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Global North.
    Ultracrepidarian

So freeland's reason for not leaving the CPP is that "agreements are hard".

Quebec has them.
    Canada has them.

I guess Alberta is too stoopid to make them.

My Ride
    Silverado

to be fair, Smith probably is.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...ts-if-it-quits

It’s like they’re begging us to stay.

New Brunswick Premier Blaine Higgs said he understands why Smith is proposing to pull her province out of the Canada Pension Plan.

“I don’t feel Alberta is leaving Canada,” Higgs said outside the legislature in Fredericton. “I think that Canada, in many ways, has left Alberta.”

He said that as the premier of a Maritime province that receives federal equalization payments, it’s worth noting that Alberta has been a major contributor to those funds. And he questioned why federal policies are “shutting down (Alberta’s) resource revenues at a time when they’re trying to reconfigure their economy.”

Higgs did not elaborate, but said Alberta’s bid to leave the pension plan represents a “shot across the bow” and “a reality check.”

However, the New Brunswick premier said he did not agree with Smith’s approach.

“If Alberta came out of the CPP funding formula, it would be a major problem … for Canadians across the country. I don’t think that’s Alberta’s intention.”

Nova Scotia’s Finance Minister Allan MacMaster, who chairs the council of provincial and territorial finance ministers, told reporters that every province expressed how much they care about the Canada Pension Plan during the meeting.

He said he believes the pension plan is better with Alberta in it.

“We want them to stay, and there was real consensus on that today,” he said.

“I don’t want to cause concern for people. I want people to know that there’s a strong consensus around the country about the importance of the Canada Pension Plan and we all want to work together to keep it the way it is.”

Ontario Finance Minister Peter Bethlenfalvy called unity a strength of the CPP.

“In a period of economic uncertainty, no Ontarian — or Canadian — should have to worry about the security of their retirement savings. Unity is a strength of the CPP, and it is a strength of our country. But unity requires fairness.”

British Columbia Premier David Eby said during an unrelated news conference in Vancouver that the main concern for B.C. residents and Canadians as a whole is that the pension plan will be there for them.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

"If they leave, we're pretty fucked. So like, unity and......synergy!"
    Ultracrepidarian

This just shows that Alberta should leave. Bunch of fucking leeches.

My Ride
    Silverado

if they get this worked over over cpp imagine if we were going to leave

My Ride
    Family Hauler

New Brunswick Premier Blaine Higgs said he understands why Smith is proposing to pull her province out of the Canada Pension Plan.

“I don’t feel Alberta is leaving Canada,” Higgs said outside the legislature in Fredericton. “I think that Canada, in many ways, has left Alberta.”

Never thought I'd see someone from the east keep it real like this guy

My Ride
    Acura Lexus

Good
    Make them beg
    MAGA
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

That's real talk right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post

I don't think they have a choice. They know Smith and UCP are crazy enough to do this regardless since Albertans literally have no say because sure we might do a referendum but it's non binding and Smith/UCP will do whatever they want. Once we're out we're out for good, and can't get back in, regardless of what government is up next. All they can do is plead to us that this is bad for Canadians and we should think about that and tug at other heartstrings. But Smith has no heart, there's a real fear that if/when AB pulls out, the scam is up, the Marth that they've been marketing to us is BS, and people realize how much AB is contributing to the scheme and how quickly it'll fail without us. So now's the time to say uhh, sorry guys our bad lol.

People are dumb enough to believe that we're an insignificant contributor because UCP=bad Smith=Devil. This isn't about pension (and let's be realistic, nobody should rely on CPP as a pension), it's about potentially the first domino to fall for people to realize that we're getting shafted in a big way.

I'm by far an expert, but a week of prodding around numbers to see wtf is going on and things seems to be making a bit more sense. If this goes through, people will start questioning equalization, and that's when separatism will really go mainstream.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    if they get this worked over over cpp imagine if we were going to leave
    Alberta is in a giant Region Beta paradox.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I don't think they have a choice. They know Smith and UCP are crazy enough to do this regardless since Albertans literally have no say because sure we might do a referendum but it's non binding and Smith/UCP will do whatever they want. Once we're out we're out for good, and can't get back in, regardless of what government is up next. All they can do is plead to us that this is bad for Canadians and we should think about that and tug at other heartstrings. But Smith has no heart, there's a real fear that if/when AB pulls out, the scam is up, the Marth that they've been marketing to us is BS, and people realize how much AB is contributing to the scheme and how quickly it'll fail without us. So now's the time to say uhh, sorry guys our bad lol.

People are dumb enough to believe that we're an insignificant contributor because UCP=bad Smith=Devil. This isn't about pension (and let's be realistic, nobody should rely on CPP as a pension), it's about potentially the first domino to fall for people to realize that we're getting shafted in a big way.

I'm by far an expert, but a week of prodding around numbers to see wtf is going on and things seems to be making a bit more sense. If this goes through, people will start questioning equalization, and that's when separatism will really go mainstream.
    If it's good for Alberta to leave, and you bet it's good for Alberta to leave, then they'll welcome us back with open arms anytime.

Note that nobody has said that the APP wouldn't work out.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    If it's good for Alberta to leave, and you bet it's good for Alberta to leave, then they'll welcome us back with open arms anytime.
    I guess the CPP statutes say that after we leave we can't get back in. That's basically what they've been telling QC anyways. Which makes things even spicier if they were to change the rules to welcome us back in haha.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

lol, Bloc doesnt back the carbon price for all heating vote..

I guess the CPP statutes say that after we leave we can't get back in. That's basically what they've been telling QC anyways. Which makes things even spicier if they were to change the rules to welcome us back in haha.
    Not having QC in the CPP actually helps the CPP.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Norway export 1/2 the oil we do and they have same population as Alberta and Norway has a $1.4T sovereign wealth fund.

Even if our oil is discounted, it's still a total rip off.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I'm willing to bet the CPP will be dissolved into a mincome scheme at some point in our lifetime anyways. So it doesn't matter that we can't re-enter the pension plan if it doesn't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Norway export 1/2 the oil we do and they have same population as Alberta and Norway has a $1.4T sovereign wealth fund.

Even if our oil is discounted, it's still a total rip off.
    Has Norway transferred $70 billion to the rest of Scandinavia over the last ~50 years?

Edit: And that's just equalization payments - imagine all of the other Federal Taxes that don't make their way back.

From June 2020:

Many in the West, including more than 60 per cent of Alberta and Saskatchewanresidents, believe they do not get a fair share from Confederation. A close lookat the regional distribution of federal fiscal balances from 1961-2018 reveals verylarge differences.Alberta, B.C. and Ontario are the only net contributors over this period. Ontariowas the largest net contributor at more than $768 billion, with Alberta coming inat $631 billion and B.C. at $138 billion. Accounting for population size, Alberta’scontribution was by far the largest in per capita terms at over $3,700 per personper year over the 1961-2018 period and over $5,000 per person per year in recentdecades. Quebec was the largest beneficiary with net inflows of nearly $500 billion.
    https://www.policyschool.ca/wp-conte...anal-Tombe.pdf

Imagine what $631 billion invested over 60+ years would be worth now. Norway would be embarrassed.
    Last edited by davidI; 11-06-2023 at 03:28 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Fuck guys, discussing this comparison is like saying beetlejuice three times to make the Kert appear. I'll bet it's awakening from it's hibernation as we speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

Page 61 of 71 FirstFirst ... 51 60 61 62 ... LastLast