Quantcast
STOLEN: 2014 Malibu Wakesetter - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: STOLEN: 2014 Malibu Wakesetter

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

At least the banter keeps this thread at the top...

as for wake/surf boats

5 years ago I would of said worth it!

But now? Things have changed... not many options in ab but else where cable parks are so much more accessible and one can argue more fun to ride, cheaper than the operating costs of a boat

Also $150k can get you a lot of surfing in the ocean... which is way more fun than behind a boat. Behind a boat it's more of just an activity to pass the time. Good excuse to look at girls in bikinis, cause they love it. Probably since the skill level is so damn low to be able to surf behind a boat

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by roopi

So you figure it will be either found or never found? You've narrowed it down from two possibilities to two possibilities. Excellent detective work.
    yeah, I guess I was being a little vague. I guess the point I was making was that this boat was targeted by professional thieves, and it has disappeared into the neither, or some amateurs and it is parked in their driveway in Sylvan Lake.

But with the economy the way it is, and how expensive those boats are, my inner conspiracy theorist is wondering if this isn't an insurance scam to get out from under it's debt...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Considering he was up NORTH... WORKING at the time....

My Ride
    is broken

If it was insurance scam he surely wouldn't be posting on beyond.

File a police report and maybe a stolen poster or 2 and call it in.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

Originally posted by ercchry

Originally posted by jacky4566
    If it was insurance scam he surely wouldn't be posting on beyond.

If there was a How to commit insurance fraud for dummies book this would be step 1 and 2. Now this is a completely different scenario but how many times has the actual killer participated in the search for the person they killed to throw them off.

I normally dont agree with spikers but hes not that out to lunch imo. Now im not saying this is op's case but i would be willing to bet a large percentage of recreational vehicle thefts are inside jobs. If you cant afford payments and no ones buying these high end toys it really puts you in a hard spot.

My Ride
    ute

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but ya, spikers is probably right.

If you're the criminal mastermind type, there are a lot of easier ways to make money than to try to fence a giant neon green boat.

I find it odd that someone would park a $100-150k boat on their driveway in the off season.

Is it really that hard to come up with the money to have it on a secured compound or at the very least install a couple cameras at the house to monitor something so vulnerable to theft?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Buster
    I didn't want to be the one to say it, but ya, spikers is probably right.

If you're the criminal mastermind type, there are a lot of easier ways to make money than to try to fence a giant neon green boat.
    Probably easier than you think... have you ever tried to register a boat? It's the most ridiculous process I have ever seen... can take up to two years

Originally posted by Rocket1k78

No way thats a 20', 24' and up is my guess and with the triple axle and loaded trailer thats an expensive boat.
    It looks like a 21' or 23' tops. We had a 23' and this one does not look any larger, nor does it require a triple axle (we had that option too when we bought but went double). From the photo it actually looks closer to 20-21' but it's hard to say exactly.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-21-2016 at 02:59 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by ercchry
    "NORTH" and "WORKING" could be flipping burgers at McDonalds...just sayin'

Like I said, just a conspiracy theory, nothing more...

But...
    Why steal a boat like that? It's a big neon green billboard that is gonna stand out anywhere. It's like stealing a Green Lamborghini. It is going to attract attention no matter where you go...

It has a huge cost to buy new, and it looks like it was taken care of. How many people could just go pay for something like that and not incur a ton of debt

With how much money those in the oil field used to make, making the assumption that he was in the oil fields, chances are good he got laid off, and now probably can't afford to keep making those payments. Might come out ahead if the boat just "disappeared" and collected the insurance money.

A sign of financial difficulties might be that the boat is parked in their driveway. Can the person afford storage at a secure facility, or is that $100 a month something that he just can't afford anymore? Especially in the middle of winter when the boat should be in some sort of storage facility. In the summer, I can understand it being in the driveway for ease of access and use.

No security for the boat or for the house? (assumption there as we are getting second hand info, not from the "victim"). No video surveillance or still pics...

Toys like this are the first thing to be gotten rid of during economic hardship, looks better on the credit rating too if the boat gets paid off versus being repossessed...

Happened just before Christmas, which is arguably the most stressful time of year for finances for families that may be having financial issues.

Now, the above is just my inner conspiracy theorist again, and it may have just been stolen just as the OP said. But in the back of my mind, I can't help but wonder...

Either way, I hope it gets found with no damage and the OP's friend can enjoy it again...

*edit* just re-read the OP and the OP is the victim, and not a friend. Wonder if we could get more details on what was going on?
    Last edited by spikerS; 12-21-2016 at 03:05 PM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by spikerS

yeah, I guess I was being a little vague. I guess the point I was making was that this boat was targeted by professional thieves, and it has disappeared into the neither, or some amateurs and it is parked in their driveway in Sylvan Lake.

But with the economy the way it is, and how expensive those boats are, my inner conspiracy theorist is wondering if this isn't an insurance scam to get out from under it's debt...
    I'm embarrassed for you with a post like this.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by vengie

I'm embarrassed for you with a post like this.
    You act like I care what you think...
    Last edited by spikerS; 12-21-2016 at 03:09 PM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

It looks like a 21' or 23' tops. We had a 23' and this one does not look any larger, nor does it require a triple axle (we had that option too when we bought but went double). From the photo it actually looks closer to 20-21' but it's hard to say exactly.
    My guess is 20' if that's the shortest length they produce. Angle distortion and photoshopping on my phone skew things a bit. It's science.

Originally posted by Env-Consultant

My guess is 20' if that's the shortest length they produce. Angle distortion and photoshopping on my phone skew things a bit. It's science.

$20 bet? ill give you 21 and under

Originally posted by Rocket1k78

$20 bet? ill give you 21 and under
    0 to degen instantly.

Not personally interested, but someone else here would likely take that action.

My Ride
    2017 Tacoma street queen

No trailer hitch lock??

My Ride
    TRD Pro

People are forgetting... if no one was home the thieves would have time to cut off any lock/locking device.....theives are pretty brazen.

My Ride
    Ram SRT-10

Lol this was a great read..

I was up in Slave Lake then Peace River working, if I hadn't cut the photo off you could see my work pick-up in the background. Work for a Wireline Company. I wish i could have gotten laid off, some of the big companies pulled their Wireline trucks out of Alberta and us as a smaller company have been flat out all year. I've had 5 days off in the last 30.

Boat is owned 3 ways (family), all papers in my name. Payments are small when split and we've been flipping for quite a few years.

The parked in driveway was a shear laziness factor, been meaning to put it in the brothers business' yard (covered shed in back) but between work and procrastination it didn't happen. Thing was locked with a Explosive Lock and they cut that.

Boat is a 2014 23 LSV Wakesetter and has the LSA Supercharged motor, Wizards owner had ordered it but never rode it so we bought it when the last boat sold.

So Rocket1k78 I believe you owe $20 to someone

My Ride
    Ram SRT-10

Originally posted by spikerS
    But yeah, that should stick out like a sore thumb at this time of the year. If the thieves are smart, they immediately wrapped it in white plastic, and painted the trailer and rims, because that is one easily identifiable boat...

My guess is professional ring and you will never see it again, inside insurance job, or you will have it back by the end of the week.
    That's my thought as well.. gotta be Professional job. They had a 5 hour window when the wife was out. 3:10-7:50pm, she had gone shopping and when she came back it was gone. I was just south of Westlock when she phoned and asked if someone had come to grab it. Don't think a "smash & grab" type would do it in the middle of the day.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Sdeibert
    Lol this was a great read..

I was up in Slave Lake then Peace River working, if I hadn't cut the photo off you could see my work pick-up in the background. Work for a Wireline Company. I wish i could have gotten laid off, some of the big companies pulled their Wireline trucks out of Alberta and us as a smaller company have been flat out all year. I've had 5 days off in the last 30.

Boat is owned 3 ways (family), all papers in my name. Payments are small when split and we've been flipping for quite a few years.

The parked in driveway was a shear laziness factor, been meaning to put it in the brothers business' yard (covered shed in back) but between work and procrastination it didn't happen. Thing was locked with a Explosive Lock and they cut that.

Boat is a 2014 23 LSV Wakesetter and has the LSA Supercharged motor, Wizards owner had ordered it but never rode it so we bought it when the last boat sold.

So Rocket1k78 I believe you owe $20 to someone
    OK, my inner conspiracy theorist is off mumbling in the corner.

I hope this gets recovered quickly for you with no damage. But if the lock was cut off, then someone was more than likely targeting it, and was waiting for the opportunity.

Does anyone in your neighborhood have security cameras that you know of? Maybe ask them if they can review their footage of that timeframe and see if you can get a description of the tow vehicle.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast