Quantcast
Personal assistant - value? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Personal assistant - value?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Personal assistant - value?

So in my life, I've known some really powerful executives, and one thing I've always been impressed by is the ability of a GOOD Executive assistant to cut out distractions, reduce wasted time, and generally make that person more effective. I've heard that some rich folks even hire a personal assistant for much the same reasons. Sounds awesome.

Then this advert on linkedin caught my eye:

Name:  Abroadworks digital assistant.PNG
Views: 467
Size:  351.5 KB

I'm sure an assistant based in a foreign country, who is likely handling stuff for a dozen or more clients, is nowhere near as useful as a dedicated person who sits in the office next to you, but . . . . it's also nowhere near the cost.

Not that I'm getting either type, but it's fascinating to consider the value proposition here. If you paid someone $9/hr for say 2 days a week, and they took care of a sufficient number of tasks for you, I'm sure you'd be able to consider that decent value.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Interesting idea, but I think the effectiveness of a personal assistant comes down to their ability to put out fires and jump on grenades... Distracting, yet urgent things that need to be taken care of... The kind of things that are difficult to manage with a 12 hour delay.

I suppose for less urgent things like travel arrangements and such, it would work, but on the chance that there was a mistake made, or changes needed and you're looking at a potential 24hr turnaround, no thanks.

Tim Ferris discusses using a foreign EA in his book 4 hour work week.
    Interesting idea, not something I'd be interested in using at this time. #I'mnotimportantenough

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    So in my life, I've known some really powerful executives, and one thing I've always been impressed by is the ability of a GOOD Executive assistant to cut out distractions, reduce wasted time, and generally make that person more effective. I've heard that some rich folks even hire a personal assistant for much the same reasons. Sounds awesome.

Then this advert on linkedin caught my eye:

Name:  Abroadworks digital assistant.PNG
Views: 467
Size:  351.5 KB

I'm sure an assistant based in a foreign country, who is likely handling stuff for a dozen or more clients, is nowhere near as useful as a dedicated person who sits in the office next to you, but . . . . it's also nowhere near the cost.

Not that I'm getting either type, but it's fascinating to consider the value proposition here. If you paid someone $9/hr for say 2 days a week, and they took care of a sufficient number of tasks for you, I'm sure you'd be able to consider that decent value.

Thoughts?
    I know you're looking for a new job.

But you can do better than $9 per hour.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

A Broad Works. Haha.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Trucks

Can you ask for their only fans link during the job interview? Surely that would have some value.

My Ride
    *The First*

Can I fuck it?

Why, oh why can I not find that clip from Robot Chicken?!!?

My Ride
    NC1

How about an intern
    I heard they just work for free

Wait nvm that’s an American thing

Yes yes influencers outsource everything to Asia
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I think an assistant can have lots of value but really comes down to how you utilize them. I think there's 3 areas they can work for you, saving time, saving money, and saving mental strain. In a lot of cases even as little as a few hours a week could help automate a lot of your life. 100 bucks a month really isn't much and in some cases they can probably save you that much in the long run.

Time:
    - Help manage and input things into your calendar, create summary of what you need to do that week. They can book appointments for doc/car/etc and work around your availability.
    - Ideas for date night, scour a few blogs / avenue Calgary for things happening each week so you always have a list of fun things to do whenever you choose to go out. It's amazing how much happens in this city that people just don't hear about until after its passed
    - They can also assist with kids in terms of inputting syllabus and important dates into calendars, reminders of things like field trips or big exams coming. They can also do research for programs or camps you want your kids to get into so you don't miss any application dates. You can also get them to fill in mundane forms for applications.
    - Research for trips, most people enjoy planning trips but not everyone does. Being able to tell someone you want a 10 day trip next March and have them go find options across a bunch of countries with pricing so you can have a list to choose from can save some headache and then just focus on the fun part of the trip planning. Or you have a destination already picked go get them to do research on all the possible activities and available dates in that area. Can improve the trip or even reduce a lot of stress by avoiding showing up when something is closed or without a reservation.

Money:
    - You can give them a list of places you want to eat or go for date night and get them to plan when it's best to go. For example we went to Deane house for their Chef's tasting menu; Sundays its $75 while other days is $110.
    - You can keep a list of things you want/need and have them periodically check deals across a bunch of vendors to see if they can cheaper prices. Likewise major purchases they can continue to track to see if prices drop so you can do a price match and get $ back.
    - Car shopping you can give them what you want and basically get them to call every dealer in the AB/BC and keep trying to haggle them all and see what they manage to get. Even a bit off a car pays their cost for months.
    - Scholarships if you have kids. Really your kid should be doing this but even 18 year olds are still quite dumb so having someone scour for obscure scholarships they may be eligible for could still be a grand here and there of free cash
    - Finding services, if you need lawn care done or furnace tune-up and don't have a set company it can be worth it to have someone find options for you. Prices vary across places so even checking a dozen places you can often find a more reputable company for less or find early season deals to save before things get busy. If you want to go full fancy then make a group chat going with your neighbors and then get your assistant to call around and get deals on servicing multiple houses at once. A lawn care place could easily give you enough off if you can get half a dozen lawns on the same street that yours is free.

Mental Strain:
    - Cancelling memberships or subscriptions, dealing with any warranty claims, follow ups on tasks you just hate doing or take ages on the phone.
    - Tracking important dates, reminders for birthdays as well as prep for those. Order gifts/flowers ahead of time for reoccurring ones so you never forget any.
    - Extra person to assist booking busy reservations. For example camping sites or concerts that go on sale and near instantly book up. We've wanted to go see Lake O'hara for a while but it's the biggest fking pain to get a slot.
    - Best of all you can get your assistant to troll certain people on forums just for fun without having to interact with them yourself.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Rich folk problems.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I know you're looking for a new job.

But you can do better than $9 per hour.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Best of all you can get your assistant to troll certain people on forums just for fun without having to interact with them yourself.
    You'd need to pay me more than $9 an hour to interact with Toma, Kert or SportEL

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Rage2 pays me $9 per hour to troll beyond.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Rage2 pays me $9 per hour to troll beyond.
    Name:  You_Guys_Are_Getting_Paid_meme_banner.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  292.4 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    *The First*

I'm still only making $8.90 as we haven't had a chance to renegotiate since I reached the #1* spot.

*#1 middle-aged street racer.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    I think an assistant can have lots of value but really comes down to how you utilize them. I think there's 3 areas they can work for you, saving time, saving money, and saving mental strain. In a lot of cases even as little as a few hours a week could help automate a lot of your life. 100 bucks a month really isn't much and in some cases they can probably save you that much in the long run.

Time:
    - Help manage and input things into your calendar, create summary of what you need to do that week. They can book appointments for doc/car/etc and work around your availability.
    - Ideas for date night, scour a few blogs / avenue Calgary for things happening each week so you always have a list of fun things to do whenever you choose to go out. It's amazing how much happens in this city that people just don't hear about until after its passed
    - They can also assist with kids in terms of inputting syllabus and important dates into calendars, reminders of things like field trips or big exams coming. They can also do research for programs or camps you want your kids to get into so you don't miss any application dates. You can also get them to fill in mundane forms for applications.
    - Research for trips, most people enjoy planning trips but not everyone does. Being able to tell someone you want a 10 day trip next March and have them go find options across a bunch of countries with pricing so you can have a list to choose from can save some headache and then just focus on the fun part of the trip planning. Or you have a destination already picked go get them to do research on all the possible activities and available dates in that area. Can improve the trip or even reduce a lot of stress by avoiding showing up when something is closed or without a reservation.

Money:
    - You can give them a list of places you want to eat or go for date night and get them to plan when it's best to go. For example we went to Deane house for their Chef's tasting menu; Sundays its $75 while other days is $110.
    - You can keep a list of things you want/need and have them periodically check deals across a bunch of vendors to see if they can cheaper prices. Likewise major purchases they can continue to track to see if prices drop so you can do a price match and get $ back.
    - Car shopping you can give them what you want and basically get them to call every dealer in the AB/BC and keep trying to haggle them all and see what they manage to get. Even a bit off a car pays their cost for months.
    - Scholarships if you have kids. Really your kid should be doing this but even 18 year olds are still quite dumb so having someone scour for obscure scholarships they may be eligible for could still be a grand here and there of free cash
    - Finding services, if you need lawn care done or furnace tune-up and don't have a set company it can be worth it to have someone find options for you. Prices vary across places so even checking a dozen places you can often find a more reputable company for less or find early season deals to save before things get busy. If you want to go full fancy then make a group chat going with your neighbors and then get your assistant to call around and get deals on servicing multiple houses at once. A lawn care place could easily give you enough off if you can get half a dozen lawns on the same street that yours is free.

Mental Strain:
    - Cancelling memberships or subscriptions, dealing with any warranty claims, follow ups on tasks you just hate doing or take ages on the phone.
    - Tracking important dates, reminders for birthdays as well as prep for those. Order gifts/flowers ahead of time for reoccurring ones so you never forget any.
    - Extra person to assist booking busy reservations. For example camping sites or concerts that go on sale and near instantly book up. We've wanted to go see Lake O'hara for a while but it's the biggest fking pain to get a slot.
    - Best of all you can get your assistant to troll certain people on forums just for fun without having to interact with them yourself.
    You're talking about onshore (i.e., expensive) EA capability here. I wouldn't trust an offshore $9/hr person to do any of that reliably, except the shitposting.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    You're talking about onshore (i.e., expensive) EA capability here. I wouldn't trust an offshore $9/hr person to do any of that reliably, except the shitposting.
    That was kind of the point of my post. What WOULD you be comfortable outsourcing to that kind of person?

My Ride
    V8s

That was kind of the point of my post. What WOULD you be comfortable outsourcing to that kind of person?
    The threshold is so low that it's at the point of "it will take less time to do this myself than explain it to someone."

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I can't even imagine this being a good idea to be honest.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast